Introduction to Rock Climbing
Weekend after May long weekend (posted in April)
One weekend (Saturday & Sunday)
This is a two day course intended to give an introduction to rock climbing. The goal is to provide a safe learning environment where people can learn the most basic elements of outdoor rock climbing.
- Putting on a harness
- Learning about materials used in rock climbing
- Basic knots: figure 8, overhand, fisherman’s, etc.
- Tying into the rope
- Checking your partner
- Belaying with a belay device (ATC or equivalent)
- Communicating between climbing partners
- Basic climbing techniques
- Rappelling with safety backup
- Rope coiling
No prerequisites required but some experience indoor climbing would help.
- Belay device, large locking carabiner
- 2m of 7mm rope for rappel backup
- Rock shoes (optional but really help with the climbing)
- Chalk bag (optional)
- Small pack
- Packed lunch
- Comfortable clothes
- Warm clothes in pack
- Rain jacket
- Wear running shoes or light hiking boots for approach
Bookings are made via the events calendar. Find an event and fill out the form to reserve your place.
Upcoming course events
- ACC Book Club | Outdoor Leadership: Technique, Common Sense & Self-Confidence – Week Three on June 15, 2021 7:00 pm
- Sky Pilot – 2021-06-19 on June 19, 2021 7:00 am
- Jackass Mtn on June 26, 2021