Introduction to Top-Rope Anchors
Third weekend before May long weekend (posted in March)
One weekend (Saturday & Sunday)
Applicants must fill out course application form on calendar listing. Course handout.
This is a two day course intended to give an introduction to top rope anchors. The goal is to provide a safe learning environment where people can learn the most basic elements of how to set up various top rope anchors.
- ERNEST Anchors
- Safety Considerations
- Types of Anchors
- Anchor Building Material
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Introduction to Rock Climbing OR previous sport climbing experience.
- Compentency in belaying.
- Belay device, large locking carabiner
- 4 carabiners (2 locking minimum)
- slings: a selection of length – double length and a few longer slings
- cordelette: 7mm – 5m or 6m long (Prusik cord)
- rope extension: static line – 9mm, about 30m long
- 2m of 7mm rope for rappel backup
- Rock shoes (optional but really help with the climbing)
- Chalk bag (optional)
- Small pack
- Packed lunch
- Comfortable clothes
- Warm clothes in pack
- Rain jacket
- Wear running shoes or light hiking boots for approach