Introduction to Top-Rope Anchors
Third weekend before May long weekend (posted in March)
One weekend (Saturday & Sunday)
Applicants must fill out course application form on calendar listing. Course handout.
This is a two day course intended to give an introduction to top rope anchors. The goal is to provide a safe learning environment where people can learn the most basic elements of how to set up various top rope anchors.
- ERNEST Anchors
- Safety Considerations
- Types of Anchors
- Anchor Building Material
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Introduction to Rock Climbing OR previous sport climbing experience.
- Compentency in belaying.
- Belay device, large locking carabiner
- 4 carabiners (2 locking minimum)
- slings: a selection of length – double length and a few longer slings
- cordelette: 7mm – 5m or 6m long (Prusik cord)
- rope extension: static line – 9mm, about 30m long
- 2m of 7mm rope for rappel backup
- Rock shoes (optional but really help with the climbing)
- Chalk bag (optional)
- Small pack
- Packed lunch
- Comfortable clothes
- Warm clothes in pack
- Rain jacket
- Wear running shoes or light hiking boots for approach
Bookings are made via the events calendar. Find an event and fill out the form to reserve your place.
Upcoming course events
- The Nai on October 2, 2021
- Jackass Mtn on October 16, 2021
- Mt Hewitt Bostock on October 17, 2021
- Mt Nowell on November 13, 2021
- TNF – The North Face Leadership course winter applications on January 22, 2022 7:00 am