Introduction to Backcountry Skiing
Early February (posted December-Early January)
One weekend (Friday evening – Sunday)
Ability to ride blue runs safely under all conditions on the setup you are bringing to the course.
This course is not a substitute for proper avalanche training such as AST 1.
This is a short course to give you information about backcountry skiing: why, where, what you need and how to do it safely. We usually schedule a presentation in November and then have multiple day trips to give you some experience with skins. That way you will feel more comfortable going on easy club trips. Other trips are scheduled to practice the use of avalanche transceivers.
Bookings are made via the events calendar. Find an event and fill out the form to reserve your place.
Upcoming course events
- AST 1 Courses on December 8, 2021 6:47 am
- WNSTP 2022: Wednesday Night Ski Training Program on January 12, 2022 6:30 pm
- Beginner Plus – Duffy area on January 16, 2022
- Four Brothers Mtn (Jones Lake) on January 22, 2022
- TNF – The North Face Leadership course winter applications CANCELLED on January 22, 2022 7:00 am
- Ski Touring – Lizzy Lake or Meadow Dome on January 28, 2022 6:00 am
- Mt Ross on January 29, 2022
- ACC Summer Mentoring 2022 on January 31, 2022 5:00 pm
- Lookout Pk on February 19, 2022
- Basecamp Ski Touring – Location TBD on February 19, 2022 5:07 pm
- Ladner & Lone Bear Pks on February 26, 2022
- Haberl Hut Ski Daze March (6)* 7-8-9 on March 6, 2022 3:00 pm
- Bow Yoho Traverse 2022 on March 20, 2022 6:30 pm
- Scutt Pk on March 26, 2022
- Misty Icefield Traverse on April 10, 2022 8:46 pm
- Haberl Hut Easter Trip on April 14, 2022
- Zum Pk on April 16, 2022
- Mt Fletcher on April 23, 2022