This is a two day course intended to give an introduction to rock climbing. The goal is to provide a safe learning environment where people can learn the most basic elements of outdoor rock climbing.
- Putting on a harness
- Learning about materials used in rock climbing
- Basic knots: figure 8, overhand, fisherman’s, etc.
- Tying into the rope
- Checking your partner
- Belaying with a belay device (ATC or equivalent)
- Communicating between climbing partners
- Basic climbing techniques
- Rappelling with safety backup
- Rope coiling
No prerequisites required but some experience indoor climbing would help.
- Belay device, large locking carabiner
- 2m of 7mm rope for rappel backup
- Rock shoes (optional but really help with the climbing)
- Chalk bag (optional)
- Small pack
- Packed lunch
- Comfortable clothes
- Warm clothes in pack
- Rain jacket
- Wear running shoes or light hiking boots for approach