To sign up for this event please use the link below taking you to the BlackSheep website.
The first 25 people to sign up get 10% off everything from clinics to hostel rooms, rentals, etc. Use the Promo code: ACCVan22
The cost to register is $50.00. Please go to the link for full details on costs, accommodations, equipment etc.
Whether you’re new to the sport, interested in learning or a long time ice climbing veteran this ice fest will kick start the season in style! Hang out with some like minded friends, maybe pick up a few skills and explore the Banff Parkway on this 2nd Annual West Coast Ice Climbing Festival.
What’s the Plan?
The Ice Climbing Festival is designed to bring coastal ice climbers together to meet and mingle, explore the amazing climbing the Banff Parkway and David Thompson has to offer, and to get ready for the ice climbing season. This year we will be staging out of the Rampart and Mosquito Creek hostels both of which are located on the Banff Parkway. The Rampart Creek hostel is ideal for the climbing on the north part of the Parkway and the David Thompson Highway while the Mosquito Creek Hostel is ideal for the Lake Louise are and the southern Parkway. Of course they’re only about 40 minutes apart so it really doesn’t make that big of a difference! There will also be nightly activities, presentations and events, mainly based out of the Rampart Creek Hostel, and of course skills clinics and guided climbs will also be offered daily during the festival. Be sure to sign up early as they’re likely to book up.
How Does it Work?
Before the Festival:
- Sign up for the camp – there will be a$50 registration fee that includes:
- Access to nightly social events including beer keg privileges.
- Eligible to signup for clinics & guided trips.
- BlackSheep SWAG Bag.
- Sign-up for a 3 night stay at a either the Rampart or Mosquito Creek Hostels if you need a place to stay.
- Sign-up for any clinics, or other products that you’re interested in.
- We will share a group list out to facilitate car pooling and planning.
During the Festival:
- Each day you can head off with some friends or any guided products you’ve signed up for.
- In the evenings make some plans for the next day with the information everyone brought back from different areas.
- Attend nightly events and activities including a few speakers to talk to various subjects like Equipment, West Coast Ice Climbing, Avalanche Safety, etc. as well a a social on Saturday.
A big thanks to our sponsors for their support!
We’ll be bringing West Coast photographer Alex Ratson with us to capture the adventure and the antics. He will be available for private work while at the festival but will also be joining various groups to record the fun. Alex has been climbing since the age of five and the stoke is still sky high! Combined with a post secondary education in Fine & Performing Arts along with Cinematography, it’s no wonder why Alex has built a life around telling visual stories of rugged, mountain adventures.
Who can go?
One of the main goals of the camp is to provide a forum for ice climbers from the West Coast to get to know one another. To facilitate that we will be restricting access to those that live on the western half of BC or the Pacific NW. Other than that there are no restrictions. If you have any questions just let us know.
What About Equipment?
BlackSheep Adventure Sports will have some rental ice tools and crampons available at Rampart Creek Hostel and we are working with our partner CAMP USA to hopefully have some demo equipment available as well. And we’re happy to anounce that we will also have a small fleet of rental ice climbing boots as well. However, you will need to bring your own technical equipment such as a harness, helmet, etc. at a minimum.
Clinics that will be offered:
- Intro to Ice Climbing – Ever thought about ice climbing? Come and experience this exhilarating sport under the guidance of one of our ACMG Guides.
- Intermediate Ice – Take the Learn the skills to safely lead ice.
- Lead Climbing Ice – Learn the skills to safely lead ice.
- Steep Ice – How to take your ice climbing to the next level!
- Will be offering a variety of trips based on current ice conditions and what people want to climb. Expect to see climbs like:
- Mixed Master: WI 4+, M4-5
- Shades of Beauty: WI 4
- Weeping Wall: WI 3 – 6
- Kitty Hawk: WI 5
- Nothing but the Breast: WI 4
- Murchison Falls: WI 4+
- And much, much more.
December 8th to 11th, 2022
|GROUP SIZE||60 persons|
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies
- Trips subject to 5% GST
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver
Sign-ups are no longer available for this event.