We’re trying again. Snowstorms can’t stop us this time!
Join us on Tuesday May 23 for a special club event called SKILLSFEST. It will be held in-person at the Floral Hall, VanDusen Botanical Garden (37th Avenue at Oak Street) in Vancouver. The doors will open at 6:30pm for socializing and the program will officially begin at 7pm.
There won’t be a slideshow that evening. Instead, the hall will be filled with display tables, staffed by volunteers demonstrating a wide variety of practical outdoor skills. The topics will include:
- InReach, plus Gaia and Windy apps
- Meal Planning and Food Drying
- Water Purification
- Crevasse Rescue Techniques
- Update on the FMCBC’s Proposed Bridge over Fitzsimmons Creek
- Club Gear to Borrow and Rent
- Art from the “Baker En Plein Air” Trips
- ACC-Vancouver’s Archival Collection and Library
The following special guests will also attend and enrich the evening:
- Packrafts: Ascent Guiding Service will demonstrate the versatility of packrafts for the backcountry. Light enough to put in a backpack and small enough to fly into a remote lake. They open up all sorts of possibilities!
- First Aid Kits: North Shore Rescue will be on hand to share tips on the best contents for your first aid kit.
- Bears: The North Shore Black Bear Society will display artifacts and information on our local bears.
- Mountain Literature: Author Trevor Marc Hughes will bring copies of his brand-new book, “Capturing the Summit: Hamilton Mack Laing and the Mount Logan Expedition of 1925”.
This will be a fun and informative session for our members. See you on May 23 at the Floral Hall!
Sign-ups are no longer available for this event.