The session will start promptly at 7pm in the Tech Lab. Please arrive early.
*** Although non-members can sign up, the only guests that will be accepted are VOC members ***
*** Payment is required in advance to be moved from the waitlist to the participant list. The course fee is non-refundable. As of Nov 12th, I will not add more people to the participant list unless some people cancel ***
All participants must complete a hive waiver: https://hiveclimbing.com/north-shore/
This crevasse rescue dry training session is intended to cover the basics of:
- Recommended gear including traditional methods vs modern mechanical devices
- Tying in
- Haul systems
- Ascending ropes (theory only as the Hive does not have any ropes)
- Snow anchors
- Glacier travel advice
All skill levels are welcome. The only pre-requisites are knowledge of the knots listed below.
Please practice the following knots before the session. We will not review these knots during the course.
- Figure 8 follow through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFlwrvggas0
- Overhand on a bight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOKk1HPjbI
- Figure 8 on a bight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbB85p_uJsE
- Moose Knuckle: https://www.alpinesavvy.com/blog/the-brake-knot-for-2-person-glacier-travel
- Prussic knot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFHxQ5fiUvI
I system that I will teach is based on the following video.
- Please watch this video before the course.
- This video contains a lot of theory which is useful.
- Skip to 41:00 for a description of the system
- Skip to 58:00 for a demonstration of the system
Strongly recommended equipment:
-3 locking biners
-3 non-locking biners
-1 120cm sling
-1 short prussic cord (5mm ~1.5m; or hollow block)
-1 long prussic cord (5mm, 6m)
-1 pulley (optional)
Additional recommended equipment (much or the instruction on rope systems will focus on how to use these devices):
-Petzl Micro Traxion (or similar progress capture pulley)
I have extra biners, pulleys and some cord which I will bring.
I may ask other people to bring ropes depending on the number of participants.
Sign-ups are no longer available for this event.