In case you don’t have plans for Sunday yet and would like to go on a relatively easy ski trip, here’s a last-minute offer:
Mt Sproatt (1830m) might often get overlooked as it looks like an “insignificant bump” in the shadow of a much more prominent Rainbow Mountain right across the valley but it is a worth-while destination – pleasant rolling subalpine and alpine terrain leading to a gentle summit with great views of Blackcomb, Whistler, Rainbow and other mountains. Although it could be suitable for beginners, the almost 1200m elevation gain does require a decent fitness level and there is a short steep narrow tricky section in the forest that may require some agility 🙂
Total distance: 16km
Elevation gain: 1160m
Total ski time: 6-8hrs
Leave Vancouver: 6:30am
Leave trailhead: 9:00am
Back by cars: 5:00pm at the very latest – we’ll most likely be down by 4:00pm, if not even earlier…
Back in Vancouver: 6:00 – 7:00pm (depending on whether we stop in Squamish for dinner – group decision..)
Because this is a last-minute super-short-notice posting, if you’re interested please send me an email ASAP ([email protected]) where you answer the following:
1. When did you last do an AST-related training/practice? How competent do feel in avalanche prevention and rescue?
2. What’s your fitness and ski level?
3. Do you have a vehicle and, if needed, are you willing to drive and offer a ride to others? If so, how many people (including yourself) AND gear are you willing to take?
4. Where will you be coming from? Can you get to the meeting/carpool location or will you need a ride?
5. What’s your phone number you can be reached at?
6. What’s the name and phone number of your emergency contact?
Sign-ups are no longer available for this event.