This is a 2 day course intended to introduce club members to single-
pitch sport climbing, i.e. leading on on bolted routes.
Participants will learn how to use quickdraws to protect themselves on
lead on a bolted route and how to setup and dismantel anchors when
sport climbing. The first day will be instruction and climbing, and the
second day mostly supervised climbing.
- Selecting the necessary equipment.
- Clipping techniques.
- Avoiding clipping mistakes (back-clipping and
- Proper lead belaying techniques (using ATC or
- Setting up sport climbing anchors.
- Cleaning the anchor and lowering.
- Top roping climbing experience, – some outdoor climbing
experience is preferred.
- Comfortable and experienced with belaying.
- Able to tie in securely and check partner.
- Climbing confidently at 5.9 indoors: participants should be able to
climb ANY 5.9 route in an indoor climbing gym without falling,
weighting the rope or pausing for long period of time during the climb.
Applicants who sign up for this course will be
will be reviewed prior to acceptance into the
course. DO NOT PAY until
you have been notified of your acceptance into the
Sign-ups are no longer available for this event.