WHAT WE DO: HAVE FUN!
Want the opportunity to climb, hike, snowshoe and ski any weekend year round? No experience required; we offer lots of opportunities to learn. The ACC Vancouver Section is an outdoor club with focus on rock and ice climbing, hiking, mountaineering, snowshoeing and backcountry skiing. We organize camps and weekend outings as well as a wide range of outdoor courses. We’re also active in building and maintaining huts, bridges and trails in both protecting and providing access to the wilderness.
MEMBERSHIP COSTS: BREAKING IT DOWN
Membership in the ACC-Vancouver section also gives you automatic membership with ACC National and the Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC. That’s three clubs for the price of one!
Electronic membership annual dues for the Vancouver section are:
- Adult: $43*
- Family: $65*
- Youth: $26*, for members 19 years of age and under
* (plus applicable GST/HST)
Electronic Membership dues include:
- Electronic copy of the Avalanche Echoes (bi-monthly) newsletter by email notification
- Monthly delivery of our Digital Bulletin News & Upcoming Events (beginning of each month)
- Monthly delivery of our Digital Bulletin “The Alpin-E-r” late breaking events (mid-month)
Mail Delivery Upgrade: For those members (who do not have an email address), or for other reasons, electing to receive a paper copy of the Avalanche Echoes newsletter, please add $10 to the price listed above.
Other National Membership Options: Canadian Alpine Journal or Huts. Please visit the national website for full description of all membership options and their costs: How Much Does it Cost?
A TYPICAL VANCOUVER SECTION MEMBERSHIP
There are several ACC National & Vancouver Section membership options. Most who join the Vancouver Section select Electronic Membership; some who do not have regular access to email may elect (Mail Delivery Upgrade) to receive their Avalanche Echoes newsletter by mail. Here’s an example of what it costs for a Basic Single Adult membership ($46.96), and the additional cost to receive a (bi-monthly) mailed copy of the Avalanche Echoes newsletter:
|Membership Type|| Adult Basic Single National Membership*
*GST/HST on National Fee component only
|Primary Section||Vancouver Section (Electronic Membership)||$10.00|
|Annual Cost with Mail Delivery||Single Adult (National & Section)Membership||$46.96|
* Applicable GST or HST will vary depending upon National Membership Options selected.
Joining is easy. Simply follow the link below to the national website and complete the online form by selecting the desired membership options:
The club diligently works at improving benefits for members. In recent years we added:
- A lower single membership fee – $10 less than 2009.
- A new online interactive calendar, iCal, which allows easy scheduling, sign-up and automated notification of events.
- Rental cost matching program for members taking part in section courses.
- Discount of 10% at Cliffhanger indoor climbing gym (saving on an annual pass will put money back in your pocket!)
- Other special benefits & member-only events, such as the MEC shopping spree. ACC Vancouver section members have exclusive access to the store and received a 10% discount on all purchases.
- New friends and mentors
- Fun at social events and on trips
- Monthly meetings with excellent and entertaining slide shows
- Saving on gear rental at MEC for club courses.
- A huge variety of local day and overnight trips to choose from, at all skill and energy levels.
- Local 1 or 2 week-long summer/winter camps, generally low-cost and self-supported
- National trips and camps, in the Rockies, Selkirks, Purcells and around the World, of moderate cost with cook, guides and equipment provided
- Day and overnight trips organized by the 16 other sections of the ACC across the country
- Increased Knowledge
- Training in leadership and technical skills through skill-building workshops and courses at both the Section and National level
- Liability insurance coverage on all ACC activities
- Access to quality gear and leaders
- Avalanche Echoes, nine issues of the Section newsletter per year with useful information on unique destinations, access and environmental issues, safety and equipment, plus upcoming social events
- Monthly News & Upcoming Events sent at beginning of each month
- Alpin-E-r, mid-month e-newsletter with the latest updates on events, meetings & other items of interest to members
- The Gazette, three issues of the National newsletter per year with articles on mountaineering current events, history, ethics, safety, conservation and more
- Cloudburst, two issues of the Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC newsletter per year
- Canadian Alpine Journal, the annual record of major mountaineering achievements in Canada and by Canadians (optionally available at a low member price).
- At the section-owned Tantalus and Jim Haberl huts
- At the many ACC main club huts
- At huts throughout Europe, as a member of the Union International Des Associations D’Alpinisme (UIAA)
- At the Alpine Club of Canada’s own clubhouse in Canmore, Alberta
- At the fabulous Canadian Alpine Centre at Lake Louise, Alberta
Involvement in Access and Environmental Advocacy: Membership in the Federation of Mountain Clubs of B.C., the political voice of the mountain community in B.C.
Sponsorship of Cultural Events: Such as the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festivals and the Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival
Other Membership Links